Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Julius Caesar Essay

Does the End Justify the Means?

“Let’s be sacrificers, but not butchers, Caius We all stand up against the spirit of Caesar” line 166~167 page 74. This line shows how Brutus wants to kill Caesar, but no kill him in a cruel way, but honorable. The two motivators that drew out Brutus to join the conspirators and kill Caesar were, Honor and patriotism. He thought that killing Caesar was right, as he will get him more honorable and is a benefit of the Rome as he said he is ambitious.

Brutus’ first motivator to kill Caesar was Honor. He was known as an honorable man since his ancestors. Honor motivated Brutus to kill Caesar as, he was thinking that Caesar should die due to too much power and also he wanted to earn the honor of people for it. “Lets kill him boldly, but not wrathfully.” This is another example of Brutus that Caesar deserves to be dead but as in his honor, he will not kill him in wrathfully. He also says to kill him in a way that is significant but not in the way that is dishonoring him. This is as his ancestors were also renowned for being honorable. “Lets all cry, ‘Peace. Freedom and Liberty!” – line 110, page 112. This line shows how Brutus thinks he did the right thing for the people and in honor he had no choice. This also shows how Brutus is thinking that killing Caesar brought all these treats to the people of Rome. Honor was a motivator, as he was pressured to do the right thing for them.

The second motivator of Brutus to take part in the conspirators to kill Caesar was Patriotism. “Romans Countrymen, Lovers,” line 13 page 128. “… This is my answer: Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more.” This shows that he loves the country in two ways. He is patriotic by looking at the words he used at the Funeral speech, ‘Lovers’. As you can see also the latter quote, He is explaining death of Caesar to protect Rome. He said that he also loved Caesar but to save Rome from him he slew him. Also he describes, “I loved Rome more” this shows that he loved his country more than he loved people privately. “ Had you rather Caesar were living, and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free men?” – page 128 line 21-23 . “… But he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears, for his love; joy, for his fortune; honour, for his valour; and death, for his ambition.” Line 24-27 pages 130. This shows that he protected them from him becoming a tyranny. Brutus also said he saved them from Caesar’s ambition by describing they would be slaves if he was still alive. Patriotism is another factor that affect him to slew Caesar as he thought more about the benefit of the people.

To sum it up, Brutus has justified that the tyrant, who Caesar will become, was put to end so that the Rome will not suffer. The two factors that have affected him to kill them are mainly patriotism and honor. Brutus killed him as to justify that he will help the roman better off not making Caesar a tyrant.

In the above, there is my essay.

Ideas and Content

In the passage above, it appropriate demonstrated ideas as I used the idea how Brutus killing Caesar did not justify the mean. But I don't think my idea was clear. My idea was focused on how Brutus was motivated to kill Caesar due to some factors but cutting the big idea down to examples was a issue. I think to get the idea that i have and support if by more clear and obvious examples would have helped my essay express my thinkings.

Organization

In the essay, I showed a developing organization. The essay doesn't clearly show a organized topic and reason-explanation paragraphs. I demonstrated some type of organizing as I gave few quote after I stated about why Brutus killing Caesar doesn't justify the mean. I think I could have improved this by planing the essay focusing on organization.

Personal Growth

To compare to the Julius Caesar essay and The Alchemist essay, I improved slightly. I think I did improve on the ideas and content as before the story was really out of idea. Also the ideas that were given were a bit off task. In this essay I have a straight forward topic but not good supporting detail. Also I need clear reasons.

SLR Reflection

Reason Critically- I think reasoning critically is the most important SLR used in the essay. Choosing the quotes for the essay, finding a right supporting detail to the topic and many others critically reasoning skills are used in this essay.



No comments:

Post a Comment